Pages

This blog will be transforming into an actual writers blog to go hand in hand with our FaceBook Group "Aspiring Writers".
This blog address has changed to "Aspire2WriteNetwork.blogspot.com

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE!

CASHMERE JUNGLE LORDS @ 3RD WAVE PLAY THE TRIPLE, 1/23/09
Submitted by Cindy Johnson

The show last Saturday was a reunion of sorts for the older, or as I like to call us, “seasoned” crowd of local RVA. Everyone seemed to know someone in one of the bands playing that night because we’ve all been around long enough to know everybody and their friends.

Local band 3rd Wave started the evening off with two sets of hypnotic instrumentals that I normally tune out. Music just isn’t the same without lyrics. But this band made me stop and pay attention immediately because they were playing some of my favorite songs without lyrics and I was so impressed I forgot my judgmental ways and swayed to the music as if no different. I also don’t flock to hear surf music, but I’m beginning to wonder what “surf” is really all about.

I’ve never known an instrumental surf band to play “Walk the Line”, “Whiter Shade of Pale”, or the sexiest version of “Rumble” I’ve ever heard. Then again, I usually am not there to witness, so I have to say if this is what surf music is, I have been converted.

3rd Wave Band Members: Casey Cash – guitar
John Haynor – guitar
Joe Mitchell – bass
Bob Walden - drums

Band website: 3rd Wave


The Cashmere Jungle Lords played the second half of the evening and it had been many years for this “seasoned” Richmonder since she had seen CJL, but I won’t wait as long next time.

The Cashmere Jungle Lords are a well know band in Richmond. They have paid their dues, spent a lot of time playing musical chairs with their band members, but they always seem to come back bigger and better than ever. The band originated over 21 years ago migrating to Oregon Hill to create their unique sound. Of all the bands CJL played with over the years, I have to say opening for The Who in 1998 must have been at the top of their list.

The band describes their sound as “Southern Fried Salsa Surfabilly”. Okay. I’ll accept that. Singer Dominic Carpin is also described as the inventor of “amp surfing”. That’s where you lost me, but all I know is the music is a little rock, a little rockabilly, a little surf, and a whole lotta fun. Did I mention they write their own material and if you knew the guys involved, that makes for some interesting songs. Seeing both of these bands among old and new friends made for another wonderful event at the Triple.
Keep it up Danny and Tiffany, you are making some special memories!

Cashmere Jungle Lord Band Members: Dominic Carpin – guitar & vocals
John Dacey – bass, acoustic guitar & vocals
Todd Woodson – drums
John Moore – percussion

Band Website: Cashmere Jungle Lords







***************************************



If your on the East Coast, be sure to sign up for
MusicRVA Social Network!


And Be sure to sign up for the new Sojournstar Music Network!


and if you want to make money while having fun and promoting your band, music or business, then you must
Join me at Weblo Virtual World for Fun & Profit!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

God what a wonderful review! I literally couldn't have said it better myself!